This series of letters from Carry (Caroline) O’Reilly to her husband Peter covers the time period from July 1, 1869 to December 28, 1869. The scene shifts from Yale to Point Ellice House & Fairfield in Victoria. There are some rare glimpses into the daily domestic life of a family separated at a “trying” time.
Artificial letter numbers and some dates have been added to provide reference points and for clarification. Several letters in this series are very hard to read due to what appears as poor quality ink or fading.
Note : Closed brackets may indicate notations left by the original transcriptionist.
- Letter No. 1, Yale, July 1, 1869
- Letter No. 2, Yale, July 5, 1869
- Letter No. 3, Yale, September 27, 1869
- Letter No. 4, Victoria, November 21, 1869
- Letter No. 5, Victoria, November 29, 1869
- Letter No. 6, Victoria, December 2, 1869
- Letter No. 7, Victoria, December 6, 1869
- Letter No. 8, Victoria, December 9, 1869
- Letter No. 9, Victoria, December 14, 1869
- Letter No. 10, Victoria, December 21, 1869
- Letter No. 11, Fairfield, Victoria, December 1869
- Notes and Observations
- Appendix - List of Names - 1869
This collection of letters and documents has been digitized from an earlier transcription project and is for informational purposes only. This transcription has not been verified against the originals. Researchers interested in these letters should consult the original documents housed at the BC Archives.
- Peter O’Reilly’s 1886 Diary
- List of Recipes
- List of Calling Cards from Visitors